Try this delicious side dish - a sweet potato kugel with apples - adapted from the NYT.
"This is another example that shows how easy it is to add Holy Crap cereals to your favorite recipes for a boost of fiber and nutrients!" -Erika Weissenborn B.Sc. FNH, CHN
- 2 eggs
- 4 T. Holy Crap cereal soaked in ½ c. water for 5 minutes
- Salt to taste
- 2 large sweet potatoes (1 3/4 to 2 pounds total), peeled and grated
- 2 slightly tart apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 T. mild honey or agave nectar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, as needed
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with salt.
- Mix in Holy Crap cereal soaked in water.
- Add the sweet potatoes and apples.
- Mix in lime juice.
- Combine the honey and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter and stir together, then toss with the sweet potato mixture and combine well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and place in the oven.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and brush the top of the kugel with melted butter.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or longer, brushing every 5 minutes with butter.
- The kugel is ready when the edges are browned, the top is browned in spots and the mixture is set.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- You can make this a day ahead and reheat in a medium oven.
Nutrition Facts for Sweet Potato Krugel