This delicious Roasted Squash and Walnut spread recipe made with Skinny B cereal was adapted from a NYT recipe. It's the perfect accompaniment to our Skinny B cracker recipe.
"This rich and creamy spread is rich in Beta Carotene and low in fat. Yum!"- Erika Weissenborn B.Sc. FNH, CHN
Makes: 2 cups
- 2 pounds winter squash, such as butternut, cut into large pieces and seeds removed
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (35 g) lightly toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, grated
- 2 T. Skinny B cereal
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and oil the foil.
- Place the squash on the baking sheet and rub or toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place in the oven and bake until tender, 40 to 60 minutes.
- Every 15 minutes use tongs to turn the pieces over so different surfaces become browned on the foil.
- Remove from the oven and allow cool, then peeling and placing in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Pulse several times, scrape down the sides of the bowl, then purée until smooth.
- Heat 1 T of olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet and add the onion. Add a generous pinch of salt, turn the heat to medium low and cook, stirring often, until very tender, sweet and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add to the squash.
- Add the mint, nutmeg, walnuts, Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon olive oil and pulse together.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve on Skinny B crackers
Nutrition Facts for Squash and Walnut Spread